Wanna make your barbeque experience even better with fewer efforts to clean and even better taste. Here we present you with the greatest innovation for backyard Barbeque Parties, the Grill Mats.
These are solid non-sticky sheets that serve multiple purposes. It is a rectangular sheet placed on top of grilling grates. It is made up of fiberglass material that can withstand high temperatures. It is light in weight, flexible, and durable.
- It will enhance the taste of the food by evenly cooking it.
- It will prevent the burning of food due to direct contact with flame.
- It will prevent small vegetables to fall through the grates.
- It will ease your cleaning job.
- It suits all purposes no matter whether you are cooking steak, fruit, pancakes, or any other dish. Due to its flat surface which helps in even cooking, the moisture of the food is absorbed and the flavor is improved.
It is good for your health also. Since it is non-sticky, therefore you are not required to put in a lot of oil. This helps you to enjoy healthier food with the same taste.
Cleaning grill mats is much easier. You do not have to struggle with the soap and scrub. All you have to do is, put the grill mat in a dishwasher and it is clean. You can also use a grill mate for easy and smooth cleaning.
How to use Grill Mats
Grill Mats are easy to use. But it is better to exercise diligence while using it to have a longer life. The heating temperature and friction have an important role in non-sticky grill mats.
Following are the important points to be kept in mind while using grill mats:-
- Overheating: Grilling should be done cautiously while maintaining the temperature such that it does not exceed the maximum temperature as recommended by the manufacturer. A few temperature differences can turn your grill mat from safe to toxic.
- Minimize Friction: In order to prevent the coating from scratches or breaks, minimize friction.
- Use of the Right Tools: Avoid sharp-edged tools to protect the surface coating. The use of plastic, rubber, or wooden utensils can enhance the life of grill mat. The use of Plastic Tools having smooth edges will be great and it is also a non-insulator. Rounded wooden spoons, Silicone Spatula or Nylon Utensils can also be used.
- Use of the correct cooking method: Using the correct cooking method also helps in increasing the life of grill mats.
Following are the important points to be kept in mind while cleaning the grill mats:-
- Gently wash the grill mats after using it. Do not keep them unwashed for a long period as this corrodes the surface and would be difficult to clean later.
- Do not use chlorine-containing detergents to wash it.
- Soak it in warm water for 20-30 minutes if it contains harsh residues.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe its surface.
- Use a Dishwasher for cleaning grill mats.
Some Do’s and Don’t of using Grill Mats
- Use high-quality grill mats which are resistant to high temperatures. As it may become toxic to use if the grill mats are exposed to excessive heat greater than its absorption capacity. It is recommended that the temperature should not exceed 570°F. PFOA which is used to build non-stick surfaces is dangerous for health and can be a cause of cancer. However, most of it is burned during the manufacturing process and there is very less risk of exposure. Therefore, many manufacturers started producing PFOA-Free Grill Mats. Check before buying if your Grill Mat is PFOA-Free.
- Check before cleaning Grill Mats that they are Dishwasher Safe.
- Do not store Grill Mats stacking up on each other. As it may cause scratches and shorten its life.
- Do not use grill mats when they start to wear and tear. Generally, the life of grill mats is around 3 years however take care to dispose off appropriately when not in use.
- Do not use grill mats for roasting meat because the grill mat’s warmth would not reach properly to roast the meat evenly.
Advantages of using Grill Mats
- Prevents food from falling through Grill Grates: Grill Mats are immensely helpful when cooking soft and tender food such as fish, fruits, and eggs which may fall from the grill grates. Grill Mats help you to enjoy the meal without having any distasteful experience.
- Lightweight and Portable: Grill Mats are lightweight and easy to carry. You can place them in your backyard or take them with you on a picnic.
- Adaptable: Grill Mats are ideal for use in any type of Grill. Be it Gas, Charcoal, Pellet, or Electric Grill, Grill Mats are flexible and suitable for use.
- Versatile: Grill Mats serve multiple purposes and incredibly change the whole experience of cooking outside the house. It turns your backyard into a kitchen as you can cook almost everything on it. It acts as a pan on its own where you can cook anything.